What makes event management an exciting career?
Working closely with customers to design and deliver a memorable event is very rewarding, and the industry provides fantastic career progression. Sound good? When considering what careers might be suitable for you, think about your strengths and what skills you have. An understanding of hospitality and event management is ideal. Having worked in the field for many years, I have seen both sides of the hospitality industry up close and personal.
My career began as an intern in a fine restaurant in New York City. Interns provided input on all aspects of the operation, from reservations to seating to menu selection. It was a hands-on experience for me and taught me the ins and outs of corporate hospitality.
- If you enjoy working with people and would like a more career progression in the event management field, you will need to gain management and leadership skills.
- A strong understanding of human resource management is also beneficial. As a staff coordinator, you will be responsible for recruiting, hiring, and training staff in all business areas.
- A good career planning and development function within your company or even as an intern with an event management company will help you gain this skill.
Qualities you must possess:
To become a full-time event manager, you must possess qualities such as excellent communication skills, leadership qualities, excellent time management skills and excellent mathematical skills.
There are several great programs out there to train for a career in event management.
- You may want to consider an associate’s degree or certificate program that will allow you to advance in your field if your career goals are to become a full-time event manager.
- If you have great people skills and are good at motivating and encouraging people, a career in event management could be a fulfilling and rewarding career choice for you.
- If you don’t have these excellent people skills and lack motivation, event management can be a very stressful career choice. You may need to learn patience, organization, and hard work. Because you are ultimately the team leader, you must possess a high level of leadership skills.
- To succeed, you need to delegate tasks and delegate your time to ensure the team is getting the job done.
- The other essential requirement is excellent organizational skills. In any event management position, you must have the ability to work as a team
- .You will need to plan effectively, design, manage and lead the team. Most event managers also perform critical functions such as budgeting, staffing, project management and marketing.
- The ability to organize, lead, and operate effectively in all of these capacities is essential if you achieve a rewarding career in event management.
- To further increase your career opportunities, you can gain valuable experience by undertaking trade shows internships. Trade shows are an excellent way to gather information on what is required in your specific career area.
- By attending trade shows, you will communicate with industry leaders and get first-hand information on the latest products and services available.
- By utilizing trade show internships, you will be better equipped to demonstrate your communication, multi-tasking and organizational skills to potential employers.
- If you do well at a particular event, this may mean you can stay on as a participant or even become a leader within your industry upon completion of your internship.
- If you have the passion and the right people skills, event management could be a fulfilling and rewarding career choice for you. But you mustn’t just leap in without doing your due diligence.
- Investigate all the possible options and ask as many questions as possible. Doing so will ensure that you make the best decision for your future and give you an exciting career in the event management industry.
Career as event management
A career in event management can be a rewarding career choice. It offers a range of career opportunities through the employment of event organizers and within the hosting industry. As an event manager, you are usually based in a large venue that can hold various events, either for corporate or private clients.
As part of the job role, your role might include organizing meetings, training and product launch activities, product promotions, promotional activities, public relations and marketing strategies and public relations activities, and so much more.
It would be best if you enjoyed our work:
If you enjoy planning, delegating work to others, and enjoying working with people from all backgrounds, the role of event manager could be proper for you. Although working in-house may be preferable, you have the option of several other options as well.
For example, if you are interested in becoming an event planner/promoter, you will find that this is a highly skilled position requiring very specialist skills.
On the other hand, if you are interested in marketing and promotions as a function of your career, then you may perhaps like to work in advertising or PR departments within a larger company.
One of the key benefits of working as an event manager or event planner is that several benefits accrue to you as a professional.
- First of all, you will get paid to work as an event manager or event planner. Which is a significant incentive for many people considering this type of career.
- Secondly, you will often be working in-house. So there will be a support network of people who will know your experience and knowledge. And will be able to refer you to potential clients and employers.
- Event management qualifications are available in a variety of forms these days. Perhaps the most popular form of education is to obtain a Degree in Event Planning and Management.
However, if you do not have a degree, you can still obtain relevant knowledge and qualification by undertaking part-time or full-time study.
Also, some of the more established event management companies. Will require potential candidates to undertake relevant internships within their own business before becoming eligible for a job.
An internship is a great way to gain valuable experience:
Completing an internship is a great way to gain valuable experience while gaining a valuable understanding of the industry. Once you have completed your education, you will probably find that some job services. And recruitment agencies will recruit an event manager or event planner. As well as bidding on the services, many of these companies will be looking for experience work experience.
The beauty of using an agency or recruitment service is that you will usually be required. To supply the agency with your resume and cover letter. They will then present you with several suitable jobs that they believe suit your specific qualifications and skills.
Routes into the event management career.
There are, however, several routes into the event management career path. With some of the more well-known routes including being an event organizer, commercial event manager or sales representative. Being an event organizer entails managing the whole show from initial contact until the last person leaves.
Cmmercial event manager
On the other hand, being a commercial event manager involves arranging. And hosting all aspects of the organization and running it in the best interests of its clientele. As well as organizing company events such as trade shows, social and corporate dinners, conferences, expositions and conventions. They may also be involved with event management in the field of hospitality or leisure events.
Sales representatives often specialize in commission-based jobs in event management. Acting as a liaison between clients and sponsors, emphasizing marketing and promoting the company’s products.
Of course, one of the most exciting career opportunities in event management is to work for an external provider. An international organization like SES, specializing in event management. Might send staff to your country to set up and run your event or take over management of one in your country.
In the ever-changing world of international business, outsourcing your work can not only save you money by not requiring you to hire and train new staff. But it can help to streamline your operations and bring your brand out into the global marketplace.
Additionally, an outside provider may be able to offer a selection of promotional gifts for your event. Helping to spread your brand even further.
However, as exciting as the possibilities of career opportunities in event management are, you should always bear in mind. That this is an exciting profession that requires commitment and drive. A successful career as an event organizer requires careful planning and follow-up.