An Easy Explanation Of ‘The Internet Of Things’
The title of this article may be a little confusing for those of you who are not familiar with the term ‘The Internet Of Things’, but the title is an accurate explanation of the article’s theme.
In this article, I will give you a straightforward explanation of
What The Internet Of Things is.
HOWEVER, before I get into all of that, I want to make sure you understand that The Internet Of Things is simply a new way of thinking about the Internet and technology. Think of it as the “web-space” around and inside all of our computers.
The Internet Of Things is simply a platform on which to develop applications and interact with the Internet.
Think of all the devices you have at home that can do all sorts of things. From controlling your lighting to playing music or controlling the operating system on your computer.
We live in a world full of connected devices, and the Internet is just one more platform for personalization.
The Internet Of Things is nothing more than a platform that allows
- Individuals to interface and customize their personal computers and experiences.
- It is only the beginning of what this new internet platform can do for us. The possibilities are seemingly endless as more technological advancements are developed.
- Some people have already taken this idea a step further by developing products and services specifically designed for the Internet, personal computers, and the human experience in general.
- Imagine browsing the web from your baby’s baby book or your kid’s latest e-book.
Now think about how much more fulfilling it would be to control all of that from your computer.
One interesting idea that is being developed is RFID tags. These would essentially allow you to keep things in your bag, desk, or even your computer permanently tagged with your data.
- These RFID tags could be programmed to know when something has come into contact with the computer.
- If you’re buying a new computer or a new bag, these things could make a significant difference.
Another interesting idea that is being developed is personal wireless Internet.
The idea is the same as the RFID idea, except the connection works differently. Instead of having a reader/writer and then scanning something for security, your personal information is sent directly to the router within the network.
- It then allows for all the information to travel directly to the computer.
- RFID personal computers will make it easier to control everything in your life. From managing your book purchase to the clothes that you wear, you will be able to go online at any time to do whatever it is that you need to do.
- You might wonder if the Internet has arrived in a whole new sense. It has, but only recently. People now can control their computers just like their personal computers, which makes life easier for them.
How late eighties people used to manage in comparison to nowadays?
Of course, the Internet has always been around, but it wasn’t until the late eighties that it started getting more popular.
Back then, people had to use their landline phones purchased through local carriers.
- Since the late eighties, however, the Internet has improved dramatically. High-speed Internet is available anywhere globally, whereas before, only the most significant cities had cable internet.
- Nowadays, even places that are considered remote have access to broadband Internet. So people who are living in rural areas can still have the same opportunity as those living in a city to access the Internet.
Limitations of Internet
Of course, this kind of Internet also has some limitations. For one thing, it is only possible to send and receive data on the Internet.
You can’t drive your car, for example, over the Internet, nor can you do business with anyone else that has internet access.
But this doesn’t mean that people should be too concerned about this limitation because there are ways to overcome it.
Importance Of ‘The Internet Of Things
The Internet of Things (IoT), also known as IoT Hubs, is taking the place of today’s world’s traditional computers.
- It is an advanced computer network that provides numerous advantages to businesses, both individuals and businesses alike.
- For one, businesses will no longer need large amounts of expensive and space-consuming servers, data centers, or laptops and phones.
- Instead, they can use devices from the IoT to run their business on a “smart grid” and benefit from cost savings and energy efficiency.
Furthermore, sensors and other technologies inside the IoT can track employees’ activities and measure productivity.
Benefits of the Internet of things:
The Internet of Things has the potential to connect billions of devices to the Internet. There are more than 10 billion devices connected to the Internet in the next two years alone.
As a result, the possibilities for how can conduct business on a global scale are almost limitless.
- The IoT can provide a platform for communicating and exchanging data between devices and between organizations.
- A typical IoT network will consist of embedded servers, webcams, and mobile application platforms connected via wireless or wired networks. Because the Internet can transmit data at high speeds. An IoT network can send information from one device to another within mere seconds.
- With such speed, an IoT network can become a robust analytics system for companies. Companies will no longer rely on internal or external systems to monitor employee productivity, device usage, and activity levels.
- Instead, they will be able to view activity level, employee demographics, geographical location, internet connection status, and other metrics through their own smart devices.
- By being able to monitor all of these things with one single dashboard. Organizations will be able to get real-time insights into where their employees are at all times.
- They will also see if particular personnel are performing above expectations, making a real difference in the organization.
How it impacts our lives?
The Internet of things can completely change the way people communicate, shop, and communicate with one another.
- It may already be changing the way we do business. Some of the biggest names in technology are already starting to adopt the Internet of things as their primary delivery of intelligent devices.
For example, D-Link and Linksys have created wireless mesh networks that allow connected devices to connect wirelessly.
- The Internet of Things could revolutionize how organizations interact and connect with their workforce by enabling employees to streamline communications and boost employee productivity by wirelessly clicking devices to one another.
Cloud computing has been around for a while, but it’s only been that we have seen such a significant transformation in how devices are connected over the last few years.
The concept is simple enough:
- Instead of having an organization store all of its information in traditional, costly data centers, it uses a massive cloud of storage devices to store all of its data.
- It is ideal for businesses that need access to a vast amount of information quickly but doesn’t have the budget to store it in a data center.
- The big data approach allows them to tap into the massive amounts of information held by the cloud and leverage it to provide the speed and efficiency of the web to their employees.
- Cloud computing is here to stay. As device costs continue to drop and the Internet grows more powerful, it is only a matter of time before cloud providers can compete with traditional providers of storage devices.
The Internet is also excellent for machine learning.
Machine learning is becoming an essential part of the process that companies use to optimize the performance of their manufacturing processes.
- By using machine learning techniques, data can be processed more efficiently, which means that businesses will be able to take advantage of new and innovative technologies and programs that are becoming available as the Internet of things continues to grow.
- Cloud provider EMCI has already started to use the Internet of things sensors to provide automation capabilities to the warehouse, which will allow robots and other automated machinery to work alongside employees to make the process more efficient.
- The future of business will be based upon the Internet of things devices that combine physical devices with the Internet to provide a comprehensive view of what is going on within an organization.
- Physical devices will become more connected, with sensors able to relay data wirelessly back to the main server. And machine learning algorithms able to process that data intelligently.
- Cloud providers will also be providing cloud-based analytics software that will provide managers. And leaders with the information they need to improve their organization’s performance.
Cloud providers are also developing completely synthetic analytics solutions. That allow organizations to test and simulate different business scenarios before making any concrete decisions. They are well aware of the importance of big data and its benefits for organizations. And will only increase in the coming years.